Find me at

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Phil Ashworth

Last night I happened across illustrator Phil Ashworth's website (who am I kidding? I Googled myself), where he wrote:

I recently read Everything Is an Afterthought: The Life and Writings of Paul Nelson by Kevin Avery and instantly became enamored with Paul Nelson. His writing on the importance of certain musicians and pushing music criticism to an art form is inspirational. Growing up with Rolling Stone magazine and numerous other music mags, I'm used to seeing albums quickly reviewed, so it's pretty intense to read about the break with him and RS magazine when they moved to the way we're now used to seeing the music review section, compared to how he had worked on it, and believed the way it should be. In one way you could tell the magazine knew what it took to survive but you also felt that what Paul Nelson was fighting for was the more admirable route. Paul Nelson is basically a reminder that we should take time to appreciate and think about what we are experiencing.

Some tight and loose sketches of Paul.






Phil also posted some sketches of one of Paul's heroes, Chet Baker. Be sure to check them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home